Sunday, June 17, 2012

Affordability Care Act Ruling Soon

Hey guys, sorry for not posting in some time. I have just been so busy here working on my dissertation and what-not.  But for sure, this blog is a high priority on my list, and I want to start updating it daily. I love this blog, and really hope to continue with it.

Right now, the focus is on the Patient and Affordable Care Act.  I wrote a post a few days ago on my personal opinions of the case and it's implications on Gastroenterology.  The USA Today recently had a really good article on the possible outcomes that can come of the Supreme Court's decision. Essentially, the outcome can range anywhere from the law being upheld to total defeat of the bill.  What may be likely is that the individual mandate that everyone have health insurance gets killed but the rest of the law remains including the part about illegal discrimination against those with pre-existing conditions.

I don't know what will happen, but one thing is for sure: for the good of Gastroenterology patients and doctors everywhere, it is important that the provision making it illegal for insurance companies to discriminate against pre-existing conditions to stay in place.  Here is thinking and hoping that it will stay in place.  As I said previously, it's very likely that your typical Gastroenterology patient would be prone to be discriminated against because they have a pre-existing condition. This is not good for the field of Gastroenterology, and this practice of discriminating against people because they have a pre-existing condition like Chron's Disease - through no fault of their own - needs to end.  Let's all pray that the results come out good on this.  A ruling should come out any second here.

No comments:

Post a Comment